Sunday, August 31, 2014

2014 AFC North Predictions

I am partial to this division since my beloved Bengals play in this division.  The teams in this division just beat the crap out of each other year after year.  The one thing I love about this division is that all the teams can never take any game for granted...if they do, they loose.  Let's get down to the predictions:

1st - Baltimore Ravens (9-7): This seems like a low number of wins to clinch a division, but like I said this division just beats the crap out of each other.  I like the fact that the offense is concentrating more on the run this year, and the defense year after year is always good.  Ray Rice will have a better year than last year (which is hard to do considering he was not his normal player last year).
Will do better than the predicted record if:  Their o-line can learn to protect Joe this year and open up holes for the run.  I love the Steve Smith signing, and I think that he will fit in very well with this team, and will lead the team in receptions.
Will do worse than the predicted record if:  The o-line plays anything like they did in the pre-season.  The o-line was getting thrown around like rag dolls during the pre-season.  As a Bengals fan, I am looking very forward to their d-line go up against these guys.  If their offense cannot stay on the field, and they cannot run the ball...it could spell a long season in Baltimore.

2nd - Pittsburgh Steelers (8-8): If there was a team that looked mediocre last year it was the Steelers.  Their team in the beginning of the season was terrible, but looked so different during the second half of the season.  I just can't look past that, honestly.  I can't stand the Steelers, but I have to give it to them, they seem to have a decent team year after year.
Will do better than the predicted record if:  The can sweep two of the three divison rivals.  It sounds simple, but as any fan in the AFC North will tell you...it's not.  IF their o-line can come together and stay healthy, they have a shot to be a 10 win team.  But in all honesty, it comes down to a defense that looks like it needs work.
Will do worse than the predicted record if:  Their defense continues to play like it did in the pre-season.  When a bunch of second stringers is moving the ball up and down on the majority of your defensive starters you might be in for a long season.  They also have been loosing some serious WR depth the last few years, but someone seems to always step up...let's see what happens.

3rd - Cincinnati Bengals (7-9): This may surprise people that I have them down here with a losing record.  I think that this season will say A LOT about Andy and Marvin.  I have them here because their schedule is tough and they play a lot of prime-time games.  The Bengals have struggled in both prime-time games and games against good teams.  Andy has been miserable in those games.
Will do better than the predicted record if:  They can prove their history wrong under the Marvin Lewis and Andy era.  Plain and simple, if they beat good teams, and win games in prime-time...they will be a team that will be a force in the play-offs.  I am trying not to let my fandom get in the way, and I need to see my Bengals break their past history.
Will do worse than the predicted record if:  They suffer a ton of injuries like they did last year.  I know they are a part of the game, but the Bengals had numerous practice squad people playing on defense last year by the end of the season.  If Andy does not step up, and Marvin continues to have his team prepared poorly for big games then it could be worse then the 7 wins I predicted.

4th - Cleveland Browns (5-11): Some how the Browns seem to win a few games every year that they have no business winning.  I feel bad for the fans in Cleveland, and then I remember that they have won a play-off game more recently than the Bengals...then my sympathy disapears.  Folks, it will probably be a long season, but hey, you have LeBron back right????
Will do better than the predicted record if:  The defense can score about 21 points a game.  The offense will need a lot of help this season.  If they can stay healthier than the other teams in the division, then they have a shot at a couple of upsets.
Will do worse than the predicted record if:  The QB's play the way the did in the pre-season.  WOW, you want to talk about a franchise that needs QB stability, look no further than the Browns.  If their defense has injuries left and right, you might be looking at a 1-15 team.

No comments:

Post a Comment